We are currently accepting applications for a part-time piano teacher to teach 3-4 days a week. Saturday is preferred as one of the teaching days in your first year. A part-time piano teacher is expected to have open availability on their teaching days, between 3:30-7:30pm on weekdays and 10:00am-2:00pm on Saturdays. As a new piano teacher your roster and schedule will gradually fill as students register for the fall semester. At the end of the semester, your roster will be given scheduling priority in following semesters as your returning students, with many students continuing to learn at the Academy for years. We strive to create consistency for both our students and teachers.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about teaching music to children and excited to help nurture a lifelong love for music making in each student you teach. A bachelor’s degree in music (completed or in progress) or equivalent professional experience is required. If hired, you would be paid to be trained in the unique and highly successful Hoffman Method. The ideal candidate will have excellent musical skills, the ability to connect with, motivate, and inspire young students, strong communication skills, and a desire to learn and apply the Hoffman Academy approach. Duties include teaching private and lessons to kids, teens, and adults, preparing for lessons, communicating with parents, and attending monthly teacher development meetings.
We are a small community of dedicated, friendly and enthusiastic music teachers and professionals. We have a uniquely supportive work environment with a focus on fulfilling the Academy’s mission of providing a high-quality music education while fostering a lifelong love for music making.
Here’s what makes Hoffman Academy a great place to teach:
- As part of our Hoffman Academy team, you’ll be provided with extensive training in the Hoffman Method, a music instruction program that combines a thorough and rigorous curriculum with a variety of teaching techniques, plenty of fun, and an emphasis on the joy of making music.
- Monthly teacher trainings will help you continue to grow and develop your skills as highly qualified guest presenters share the latest information on a variety of topics.
- During our quarterly Come Together Week, you’ll have an opportunity to lead small group classes and prepare your students for both ensemble playing and solo performances.
- We supply everything you need for a great music teaching experience. Each Hoffman Academy studio is equipped with a quality Yamaha upright piano, music teaching aids, and a continuously stocked music library.
- All student payments and paperwork are handled by our office team, so that you’re free to focus on your teaching. Each of our students commits to at least 18 weeks of instruction, so you’ll know you’re always working with students and parents who are dedicated to music learning.
- At Hoffman Academy, you’ll join with other Portland musicians and instructors who not only mentor and support each other with their teaching, but support and encourage each other as musicians and even make music together.
- Competitive wages
- Medical benefits (for employees who work 20+ hours per week)
- Paid prep time
- Paid training and professional development
- Annual Bonus based on Student Retention
- Employee discounts
- Mentoring from veteran teachers
- Performance opportunities
- Support from an office staff who takes care of billing, customer inquiries, and event planning
- Fully stocked teaching space with music library and teaching tools
Once submitted, your application will be carefully reviewed, and you will be contacted within 3–6 weeks.